Do I Need to Replace My Home’s Siding?
For most homeowners, replacing their home’s siding usually isn’t at the top of their to-do lists. It typically isn’t on a homeowner’s mind unless there is an obvious or crucial issue, but it should be. Your home’s siding ages, causing wear and tear to it. This can cause it to leak and when this happens, it can be too late to prevent any other large and expensive repairs. To help out our homeowners, we have some signs to look for before any damage occurs!
- If your home is in need of painting every 5 or 6 years, this is a sure sign that there is something going on with your siding. If your home has good siding, the color and shape should keep for at least 8-10 years. If your siding is pealing, cracking or chipping, this is a sign that it needs to be replaced.
- If your heating and cooling bills are through the roof, this is an indication that your home is in need of new siding. First, you should make sure that the problem isn’t a leaking roof or lack of insulation. If those are ok, the siding could be the issue at hand. Poor quality insulation and siding that isn’t working correctly can be the main reason for high bills.
- For any warped siding, take a screwdriver and poke underneath it to see how the solid it is. If it is soft or has started to rot, this is an indication that the home’s siding needs to be replaced.
- If your home has large areas of cracked or loose siding, these sections will need to be replaced. If they aren’t removed and replaced, water can make its way in and cause major issues down the road. Regardless of the size of the area with cracked or loose siding, they should be removed and replaced.
- While it might not be obvious to homeowners, peeling wallpaper or paint can be an indication of damaged siding. Faulty siding lets moisture make its way underneath where it can cause damage to the walls of your home.
- If you find any type of growth like fungus or mold on your home’s siding, this is a sign that water is inside the wall and causing that growth.
- The saying goes, “nothing lasts forever,” and this includes your home’s siding. Faded color on siding is something to look for when it comes time to replace it.
There are many other signs that your home’s siding may need to be replaced! If you’re unsure if yours does and you would like to schedule an inspection, contact Nor’Easter Roofing today. We can be reached by calling 508-667-3278 or by filling out our online contact form.